Oh the weather outside may be frightful … but the festive cocktails inside can be quite delightful! Who doesn’t want to warm themselves up with some festive cheer?
There are so many festive cocktails to be had. Last year I made a different cocktail pretty much every night, however, one of my favourites is Mulled Cider.
Plot twist … why not throw in a shot of spicy whisky? I thought this Fireball Cinnamon Whisky might pair really nicely with the cider and it sure does! We started drinking this Mulled Cider warm and finished drinking it chilled. It’s just as delicious either way.
If you would like to have a go at making it, check out the recipe below. It’s super simple. As always, you can add or substitute whatever you like to suit your own taste. You might prefer to use brown sugar and that would be yummy too. Each to their own as I always say.
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp of black pepper corns
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 – 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inch)
- 1 – 3 bay leaves
- 3 cans of dry apple cider
- 1 large orange sliced
- 1 handful pomegranate seeds
- 1 double shot Fireball Cinnamon Whisky
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan
- Bring to the boil
- Stir to ensure the sugar dissolves
- Reduce the heat and gently simmer for approximately 20 minutes
- Strain to remove spices
- Serve in glass mugs and garnish with sliced orange if desired
I reckon this recipe would work just as successfully as Mulled Wine too (also known as Glühwein in Germany or Glögg in Sweden).
Happy Christmas Eve!